Thursday, August 30, 2018


Taste Buds--

The hot room with its high, doily-covered dressers
their mute, framed faces staring down at me
Men in priestly robes, solemn black cassocks
showing me where my gene pool ended
in that small corner of the Old World…scattered sterile seeds
lost in cavernous dark seminaries

An ice box in the corner
drip pan beneath
sparse provisions within
All the rest victims of the hot room with
its thick drawn drapery

Hard cheeses, sour auras redolent when you’re near,
wrapped in cheesecloth, aging in the open air,
flagons of wine
and a viscous green oil that would take years
for my American palate to love.

My grandparents muttering
in their strange and fluid tongue
urging me to mangia.
I was too thin–“Fagiole!”

The salad of crisp green--
cool, ignoring the August day–
greens and orange slices.
My little face cries silently at the first taste--
why did they douse it like that?
I liked olives–if they were pitted...
and dyed black, and swimming in a can
under murky salty water.
But this green oil my nana doused the salad with
was from no olive I knew.
And with the black pepper too!
The oranges were spoiled for me.

Bitter and sweet, bitter and sweet.

Why did the old people mix bitter with life’s joys?
I would not mangia,
me, with taste buds
not yet born into the flavors of my people.

and on a lighter note...


Chef-Boy Artie’s Gourmet Tip of the Day
(first, pour yourself a glass of wine…)

One should never combine
a pretzel
with a clementine
It makes no sense
Some things just don’t go
Such mistakes are immense

There are textural paradoxes
or so it seems
And there’s yin and there’s yang, you opine
But, once again--even in your dreams--
pretzels with clementines are not meant
to combine.

[Yes, have another glass of wine.]

Why would you ever
put mustard on a rose?
Why would you tempt
a wasp with your nose?

Cooks can be clever
and cooks can be wise
looking for ways
to increase your waist size--
but if one ever comes up with
Clementine-imbued Pret-ZEL
do yourself a favor
and bid him farewell.

--art gatti,
1/1/16

No comments:

Post a Comment